Sunday, August 23, 2009

the beauty of a choice.

ok so. what to do what to do?

let me lay it down for everyone. I dont know what to do. And so this, like everything is to ask for prayer. I got a call from a pastor a few days back about a ministry position in which i would be leading a small junior high and senior high group as well as teaching regularly in main services, seems like it would be right up my alley right? For the most part it is, good conservative church (evangelical Presbyterian denomination), i like their view and philosophy of ministry, etc. It seems as though this would be a good fit. I think the downside that "frightens me" for lack of a better term is that it would be a huge commitment to enter into full time ministry again and try to get a graduate degree, like 5+ years... not that i would have to stay at the church that long but i would like to really invest in a community out here. so yeah. the downside? they havent offered me anything yet jobwise, and may not ever. Churches are notoriously slow in these processes.

the other side of the coin. i got an offer to work for a carpet cleaning company here in the area making around 20 an hour. A good friend who i appreciate very much vouched for me and my work ethic to put my on the "short-list" and basically ensure me a job if i would want it. Though not full-time i would be working enough to pay the bills and hopefully give me more time to take classes than working in full time ministry would. so are you seeing the issue?

i want to teach. no if ands or butts about it. SO, does that mean taking the somewhat more "menial" job to pay for school and get it done as fast as i can? OR, does that mean that i should wait on a ministry position, whether here or at another church in the area? I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. i could take the carpet cleaning job UNTIL a church comes around but i would not want to do that to my friend who stuck his neck out for me, to take a job then leave after just a few weeks, so thats not really an option. im feeling like its either or for right now. and i would like to really wait on it ya know? take some time. however, i dont have that luxury. The carpet cleaning company will need to know by monday or tuesday at the latest.

sometimes i feel ridiculous because the church only called me once and hasnt offered me anything. the OBVIOUS choice is to take the job now and wait to see what God does with ministries and such. but what about the God of the universe is obvious? or predictable? what about our paths in life are ever how we see it? or how we think it ought to go? I want to be used.

"give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1thess5.18

so thanks God. I have no idea what you are going to do. But give me peace along with anyone out there who has uncertainty.

i know it will work out for HIS glory, but i appreciate your prayers all the same. and lets not get caught up in HIS will. (you can try but you wont get it anyways)

2 comments:

  1. I'm praying like mad---'love you, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of you this morning while I changed Caleb's poopy diaper and started praying. You are probably the only uncle out there that is thought of whenever a child has a poop. One benefit of being associated with poop is that you are guaranteed to be prayed for at least twice a day (three times on a prunes day). Let us know when you need lots of prayer and we'll hit up the grocery store for some prunes.

    ReplyDelete