Thursday, January 14, 2010

the hope of glory.

"Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God."
romans 5.2 esv

I am obsessed with the book of romans right now, I really am. Blown away by the authority with which Paul teaches. This verse, seemingly so elementary has been penetrating my heart to deeper truths and daily understanding of grace. Just enough to maybe keep me focused on GOD instead of the person who cut me off on my way to work, or that person in line at the market who is writing a check and taking forever (WHO WRITES A CHECK STILL??? move it along, get a check card, get the net).

Last night I taught on the problem of evil to about 15 teenagers. Which, from the onset may seem an unfruitful endeavor, and maybe it was; but I loved it.

Without repeating my sermon, I talked about the worlds argument against God, or His power. The earthquake in Haiti being a perfect example. How can this happen to a place already so poor and devoid of hope?

I taught on Job and the ancient example of God's power we see in the Holy Scriptures, his divine authority and our goal to praise Him regardless of circumstance. But so what?

The world says God has lost his power, doesn't care, or maybe never had it to begin with. The bible contradicts this. Looking at this passage from romans my heart has a choice, will I have FAITH in the future glory of God? or despair in today?

I dont know why evil takes the lives of the innocent.
I can't explain why sex trafficking sells the hearts and hopes of young men and women across the earth.
I visited a place designed for death and extermination last summer, and was left speechless.

So my heart has a choice this day, believe and stand in the future Glory of God. Believe He will return to his creation and conquer evil and pain once and for all. Believe we will stand before him and flood the streets of heaven with tears of joy (thanks tyler. im referencing this song. go to www.myspace.com/campaignsound then click on the song "heaven" in the audio player on the right).

Or I can give up, because I cant understand God.

I don't want to understand God. I want to stand on the promise of HIS GOODNESS. I want to take the good with the bad. I want to love recklessly.

Lord give me the strength to make that choice daily. To rest upon your promises and the future glory of your promises. Have mercy on me, a sinner.





2 comments:

  1. Brilliant stuff my friend. I am so encouraged by this. We must choose faith, or choose despair. "I don't want to understand God". love it man. Your faith is a blessing. - tyler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Sam, for those words. You inspire me. I love you so much, Grandma

    ReplyDelete