
I have been trying to unplug more, like this guy, driving a tractor through downtown denver. technology is annoying. I heard somewhere that young kids of this generation are so used to texting and playing video games with their thumbs that if they go to ring a doorbell, they will use their thumb, not their pointer finger. (now, granted, most kids wont ever ring a doorbell, they will just text whoever is inside to let them know they are there. mostly so they can avoid any interaction with parental-type figures)
If I could, I wouldn't even use my cell phone. I held out till 2006, but now I'm hooked like everyone else. So as I sit in my office wondering if I should start a twitter account; I think about the pros and cons of the connected lifestyle. I see the benefits of a transparent life that I desire and a connectedness to those I love, both family and church family. I see the negative in the social retardedness (is that a word?) that extreme online social networking causes.
Ultimately when working with youth, I don't think I can fight it. My ultimate desire of living as a hermit in the woods will probably never come to fruition. sad panda.
On another front. I am loving life in Denver.
I am getting to go snowboarding quite often which is nice. I love the outdoors and feel like I'm getting better at it, whether I am or not will be determined by this weekends trip with jenna and how many times she can make it down a run before I do.
I am also loving my job. I am a youth pastor again for those who don't know, and its wonderful. Being in the lives of young people and seeing them wrestle and deal with the issues they face is interesting as well as inspiring. I get to teach truth. and it is a blessing. Recently I think of Josh, a young man who has had a rough year and his actions don't reflect who he is. I barely know him, but in talking with him see a genuinely good kid who probably made a few stupid choices. He's been on my hearts and prayers all week. Pray for him if you think of it.
oh and also...
No comments:
Post a Comment